Heating & Air Conditioning Glossary Terms

A - C | D - H | I - R | S - Z

Brand name for American Standard's whole house air filtration system that removes up to 99.98% of airborne allergens from the filtered air in your home.

Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. AFUE is a rating that reflects how efficiently a gas furnace converts fuel to energy. An AFUE of 90 means that approximately 90 percent of the fuel is utilized to provide warmth to your home, while the remaining 10 percent escapes as exhaust.

Air Cleaner (also Air Filtration System)
A device that removes allergens, pollutants and other undesirable particles from air that is heated or cooled.

Air Handler
The indoor component of your air conditioner or heating system that moves air throughout your home.

Brand name for the American Standard family of air conditioners.

A substance that causes an allergic reaction. It includes dust, pollen, pet hair and dander, dust mites, mildew, lint, fungus, most tobacco smoke, cooking grease and bacteria.

All-In-One System (also Packaged System)
An air conditioning and/or heating system in which all components are located in one cabinet. Used in certain localities and for certain building types, the all-in-one system is installed either beside or on top of your home.

British Thermal Unit. In scientific terms, it represents the amount of energy required to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit. One BTU is the equivalent of the heat given off by a single wooden kitchen match. For your home, it represents the measure of heat given off when fuel is burned for heating, or the measure of heat extracted from your home for cooling.

Cubic feet per minute, a standard of airflow measurement. A typical system produces 400 CFM per ton of air conditioning.

The output or producing capability of a piece of cooling or heating equipment. Cooling and heating capacity are normally referred to in BTUs.

Comfort-R™ is American Standard's process for reducing your home's humidity and maintaining a comfortable temperature. Set by the dealer, Comfort-RTM ramps up the airflow in your home—making your home cooler and more comfortable faster.

The heart of an air conditioning or heat pump system. It is part of the outdoor unit that pumps refrigerant. The compressor maintains adequate pressure to cause refrigerant to flow in sufficient quantities in order to meet the cooling requirements of the system and your home.

Condenser Coil or Outdoor Coil
Located in the outdoor unit, the coil dissipates heat from the refrigerant, changing the refrigerant from vapor to liquid. In American Standard units, the coil is called Spine Fin™.

A - C | D - H | I - R | S - Z

To learn more plesae call your South Carolina or Georgia HVAC company at 844-334-3578 or complete our online request form.